Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Foodie Blog: Vegetarian Haven

Vegetarian Haven
17 Baldwin St
Toronto, Ontario
Cuisine(s): Vegetarian
Date visited: May 2010
http://www.vegetarianhaven.com

For my birthday, I wanted to try something different .. something healthy .. something vegetarian? Sure, why not! I dragged the bf and Ewie here (Peter couldn't make it).

Food: 2.5-3/5
I was excited to try the tofu drumsticks .. they looked really good on the menu and actually tasted pretty good. For mains, I ordered Mushroom Tofu in clay pot; bf ordered sizzling seitan in black pepper sauce; Ewie ordered Singapore pad thai I think. My food was very good .. I really liked the mushrooms and tofu and the rice and sauce were good. Unfortunately, that was all that we found good. Bf's "meat" didn't taste as good as the sampler looked - I think it was the texture that really threw me off .. I couldn't stomach more than a few bites of it; I don't know how he ate 3/4 of it! Ewie's noodles were really heavily spiced with .. spice? I can't remember what exactly it was but it gave a really strong unpleasant taste to the noodles - she didn't finish it either.

Service: 4.5/5
The service here was fab. The waiters/waitresses were very jubilant and happy to point out suggestions and cater to questions. They were there to to off water. I think the main difference you'll find is that they actually enjoy serving people vegetarian food. I don't remember the bathrooms but from what I do remember is that it was clean (there's a small little lip of a curb that I tripped over, tho).

Atmosphere: 4/5
I think the clientele here is different than what you might find at a regular chain restaurant. It's a long cozy corridor with tables tightly packed. You hear light chatter from all around but it's not overwhelmingly loud or pitch quiet. The decor was quite simple and nice.

Price/Value: 3.5/5
Most people expect that meat-less food would cost less, but not so here! Prices range at around $9-$13 for a main. However, I didn't expect $6 meals either .. I think it's actually decently priced for organic, meat-less meals with a twist.

Overall dining experience: 3.5/5
I think the biggest thing here was the fact that we didn't find the food very appetizing. My vegetarian coworker really likes this place, and my friends being quiet carnivorous didn't find the food very tasty.
Food aside, the service was very good as was the decor. The great thing about this place is that you don't find "normal" vegetarian options on the menu - most of the things on the menu are things I've never heard of, and that's what drew me to this place. It wasn't just "veggie burger", or "salad", but meals with an exotic twist. I don't think we'd return, but if you're a vegetarian, I would suggest this restaurant.